Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 12:45:09 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sendmail.cf question

OK all you sendmail hackers, I have a (hopefully) easy question for you.

I'd like to setup my router box so that it accepts and queus up email
for machines in our domain when individual hosts (most notably our email
server) go down.

However, I *don't* want the email delivered to people on the router box,
merely queued up until the main box comes up.

I would think all I needed to do is add a MX entry to the nameserver to
primariy point to the main email box, and alternatively point to the
gateway box.

DNS stuff for the mail machine;
rocky.sri.MT.net        preference = 0, mail exchanger = rocky.sri.MT.net
rocky.sri.MT.net        preference = 5, mail exchanger = sri.MT.net
rocky.sri.MT.net        inet address = 204.182.243.10
sri.MT.net      inet address = 204.94.231.129

Rocky is preferred, but when it goes down our router box should get the
email.

And, the important DNS stuff for my router box.
sri.MT.net      inet address = 204.94.231.129
sri.MT.net      preference = 0, mail exchanger = rocky.sri.MT.net
sri.MT.net      preference = 5, mail exchanger = sri.MT.net
rocky.sri.MT.net        inet address = 204.182.243.10

rocky is the preferred mail-host for addresses sent to
'user@sri.MT.net', so I needed to setup an MX record to make sure it got
all the email for email addressed to 'user@sri.MT.net'

First of all, does all of the above configuration look correct?

Secondly, I don't want *any* email delivered to this box except for the
email created locally (ie; cron scripts).  Any external email should be
'queued' on the router box only until it's delivered to the real
machines.  Do I need to do anything on the router boxes /etc/sendmail.cf
to have it 'Do The Right Thing'?

I'm still getting errors like the below, but I don't want to add my
hostname to the Cw macro since it delivers the the email on the router
box instead of queueing it up.

Either I have this mess below, or I have emailed delivered where it
won't be seen.

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
<nate@sri.MT.net>  (unrecoverable error)

553 gateway.sri.MT.net config error: mail loops back to myself
554 <nate@sri.MT.net>... Local configuration error

Help!

Nate