Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:56:55 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dbabler@rigel.orionsys.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating advice

[Sorry, I don't know anything about IDE CDROMs]

> I keep finding that the ports files are behind the available distfiles,
> and often the specified source isn't even available any more. I also
> would like to update the whole release to -stable or -current but at a
> loss to determine a rational way to do that without losing what work I've
> done. With only 500MB to work with (less... I need to reset as much as I
> can for users) I'm not sure it's feasable to maintain the whole source
> tree. I have no desire for any X-windows applications - the system is
> intended for use by ANSI-only users. As mentioned, I have a live internet
> connection. What is my best path for upgrading?

If your only reason for upgrading is to get the latest and greatest
ports, all you have to do is pull down the ports-current tree (ie just
the "skeletons" for the ports). All of them, apart from one or two
very kernel-dependent things like top, should work on -release.

The only thing to watch for is that the shared library version numbers
have been bumped in -current, so you may see messages from programs
saying they can't find libc.so.3.0. Just do (as root)

# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libc.so.2.2 libc.so.3.0

to fix this.

If on the other hand you really do want to upgrade the whole OS, I'd
recommend getting hold of the latest SNAP.

1. It's available on CDROM and is a fixed target.
2. If you're running -stable and especially -current, you should
   really be prepared to read the appropriate mailing list, keep up to
   date with the latest code, send in bug reports if something blows
   up, etc - not everyone has the time or the inclination to do this.
3. You'll probably need more than 500MB just to store and compile the
   source for -stable/current.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland | http://freefall.freebsd.org/~jraynard/
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk         | jraynard@freebsd.org