Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:31:02 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV on ro wd

CyberPeasant wrote:

> Adam Nealis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had to change it [fstab] to
> >
> > /dev/wd0s1a    /    ufs    rw    #2.2.6 version
> >
> > To check the partition is OK, try this
> >
> > mkdir /mnt/bootdisk
> > mount /mnt/bootdisk /dev/wd01s1a
>
> You meant
>   mount /dev/wd01s1a /mnt/bootdisk

Ouch! So I did.

> At this point the user can cd /mnt/bootdisk/dev and do MAKEDEV, I think
> MAKEDEV wd01s1a

That device should already exist. The pre 2.2.6 /etc/fstab simply used a
shorthand notation for same. The reason I state this is because I don't
recommend running MAKEDEV unless you have to (Pavlovian conditioning).

And maybe that should be

./MAKEDEV wd01s1a

(or is it fashionable to have "." in root's path these days ;-) ?

Adam.