Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:40:26 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        reichert@numachi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: standardize device probe messages?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 04:57:30PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> That's bogus.  My /var/log/dmesg.today is full of crap saying that
> certain ports can't be connected to.

I had intended this information to be extracted at boot time, and
shoved into another format elsewhere for other purusal.  dmesg.today
would be current, at that point.

> : Essentially, I need to treat the output of dmesg (WRT device probes)
> : as a database, and I want a schema for that database.

Actually, I misspoke on this horribly.  I meant to say:

  I want to scan the contents of the system message buffer, at boot
  time, for regular messages that describe device probing, and store that
  information elsewhere.

I did not mean to imply that I was going to scan dmesg.today on
demand, and expect anything reasonable...

> That's a bad idea.  devinfo(3) is made for this.

Glad to hear that something's coming down the pipe...

Cool, found the manpage on the FreeBSD website; thanks for the pointer...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842