Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 20:31:30 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.com, rdugaue@calweb.com
Subject:   Re: AH3985W/Raid

> Does anyone know if this Adaptec controller will work? Are special drivers
> needed or will the controller handle all the raid aspects such that to
> FreeBSD this will look like another sdx device?

This controller will work as three independent controllers, but only after
the aic7xxx driver adds detection support for them.  I've got patches
to my -current system to do this - I was thinking about getting a
3985W but found a bettter use for my money.  The author of the aic7xxx
driver, doesn't monitor -questions but I know that adding 3985 support
is one of the things on his TODO list.

RAID support will not be available until someone can get the documents
for the 7810 controller from Adaptec.  I tried a couple of weeks ago,
but they just sent me some stupid sales brochures :(

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

P.S. There is software RAID for FreeBSD with CCD - concatenated disk
     driver.  You could always go that route, with or without a 3985.