Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:29:25 -0800
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating perl entries in make.conf (via package)

--------------enigD4E47B84C8EFED46FF5EEE68

Hi,

I am updating several 5.x machines, and in the process updating the perl
packages from 5.6.x to 5.8.x.  What I have noticed is that if you are
installing a package on a new system, the package installs the symlinks
in /usr/bin and puts the Perl env variables in /etc/make.conf (as expecte=
d).

However, when updating (via pkg_delete -a, then pkg_add or portupgrade)
the symlinks aren't maintained and the perl variables are not modified.
 And the use.perl script seems to no longer exist (or I'd just have
portupgrade run 'use.perl port' after updating the perl package)

Is there a new/better way that perl is updated via packages so that the
symlinks are maintained and the entries in /etc/make.conf are updated
with the new perl version?

Thanks - Peter
--=20
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"