Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:11:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!root.com!dg, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!clinet.fi!hsu
Subject:   Re: kern/2771: panic: bad dir (possibly same as "dup alloc" problem?)

>  In article <199702191605.SAA03914@news.clinet.fi> Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi> writes:
>  One more thing about this panic; we did not have any problems with this
>  system when it was installed and the disks were mostly empty.  The problems
>  started when expire kicked in after about two weeks.  We have a
>  built-ourselves expire which keeps space available constant by removing old
>  articles one-by-one, so load it different from traditional news server.

 Let me add to that description.

 Most of the time, on my system this results in a
panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc.  However, every now-and-then, I get
a "bad dir" panic as well.

 If you've been following the discussions about "dup alloc" panics;
feel free to join in...  I have definite suspicions this is the
same problem...

 What make's me think that is that, as you, I have my own expire
that removes files one-at-a-time....  (I'm running a rather old (~1990)
version of Cnews - which does make the load different.

	- Dave Rivers -