Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:29:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Temcguire@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interpreter compilers

> Recently, I installed FreeBSD (2.2.2) on a Pentium Pro in an attempt to
> upgrade from SPARC.  When I attempted to build awkcc (from AT&T Toolchest) I
> discovered that flex (GNU) was not happy with awk.lx.l in the awkcc source.
>  Seems, that flex -l option also would not accommodate the lack of POSIX
> compliance in awk.lx.l.  I have tried blex (Berkeley port?) and had similar
> results.

if you showed some of the problems you were getting i could help a little
more,  why don't you look into the book: flex & bison by O'reilly and
Associates, it's really good on explaining the differences with different
implementations of flex/lex...

y'know what might work, see if there is an emulation package that will
work with the binaries that you have, FreeBSD has a slew of emulators for
various operating systems, you might just have to recompile your kernel or
install a package from the distribution or ports.

> Question#2:  Can PERL scripts be translated into C and compiled into
> executables?  Do regular expressions and associative arrays (awk) exist in
> any other languages that can be translated and compiled?

honestly Perl is considered 5 to 10 times faster than AWK anyhow, so just
using interpreted Perl might be fast enough.

> Thank you for any possible assistance!
> Dr. Thomas E. McGuire
> 411 East 9th Avenue
> Salt Lake City, UT 84103
>
> P.S.,
> The Pentium Pro I purchased (Micron Inc.) has the option of a second
> processor.  I have 64Mb of memory and wonder if I installed another
> processor, would FreeBSD operate much faster?

Yes amazingly faster, however you would have to deal with the SMP
(symetric mutiprocessing kernel) which hasn't been as stable lately,
join the "freebsd-smp" mailing list to find out how it is doing, maybe you
could get ahold of a earlier more stable version of the kernel

godd luck,
Alfred