Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:02:27 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/shells #include syntax support patch

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:13:49AM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> 	Asbestos suit on, round two.
>
> 	The patch below changes getusershell to support a #include syntax
> in /etc/shells.

I guess this is what I object to.   I don't particularly like having a
new directive in a configuration file which lots of applications read
directly.

I would rather that a separate configuration file be read, for example,
with a list of shells(5) format files to consult.

In current, this could be an optional thing, activated in nsswitch.conf,
e.g. make a ports source for shells, and activate it with:
     shells: files ports

or whatever you would like to call the source.
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org