Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:54:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, ac199@hwcn.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concurrent package making allowed?

 * >     bsd.port.mk to verify it, but it has to ignore a difference of a
 * >     few bytes (few Kbytes?).
 *
 * It can't be used reasonably.  How do you expect a size for a FreeBSD
 * i386 version to work for a SPARC version under NetBSD for example?  It
 * doesn't make sense.  And even if we stay with FreeBSD it won't work in
 * the long run.  Alpha binaries are different in size from i386 bina-
 * ries.

Let's limit the discussion to FreeBSD here, we already have a hard
enough time taking care of ourselves we can hardly go try solve
others' problems. :)

Then the issue will be only two architectures (for now).  We can solve
the problem easily by writing the arch type as well as size in the
SIZE file like Tim suggested:

# cat pkg/SIZE
i386 1387141
alpha 1424222
#

We should initially only make the i386 size mandatory.  Of course, we
can add more lines if FreeBSD is ported to more architectures.

 * I think we can assume someone using the ports collection instead of
 * pre-compiled packages knows how to estimate the size and if he/she
 * underestimates it how to get out of the trouble.

My point is to make INDEX generation easier.

 * I will try this solution with an automatic merge of /usr/ports/INDEX
 * and the size information accompanying the packages after building.
 * The index will be the right one for the built packages.  The merged
 * INDEX file is intended for inclusion on CDs and FTP servers with these
 * packages.

I'd like to keep the INDEX file simple (i.e., only one kind, not
different ones for CDs and FTPs, etc.).

 * > (3) New option to pkg_create to calculate the size and print it out
 * >     to stdout.  Also another option to put the size file in the
 *
 * Use options "-S /dev/stdout -z" with a pkg_create patched the way I
 * did it.  See my PR for this.  A new option just for outputting it to
 * stdout seems to be a waste of effort and space and makes the man page
 * even harder to understand.

Sorry, I meant only one new option that prints out the size (to
stdout).  You can always redirect the output to a file if you want.

So there are two new options to pkg_create, one to calculate the size
and print it out, and another to include it in the package.

Satoshi