Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:51:45 +0600 (ESS)
From:      Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dev Young <devon@abreathoflife.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD that runs on top of MS-DOS?

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 15 June 1999 at  4:30:16 -0400, Dev Young wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >    Do you have any versions of FreeBSD that runs on top of MS-DOS like
> > slackware's linux zipslack does?
>
> No.
>
> > I'm not allowed to repartition the hard drive on this comp, and so
> > I'm looking for anything that will allow me to avoid doing such.
>
> You could try PicoBSD (http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/).

if you agree to spend enough time, you can try to run
PicoBSD with vn(4), with

$ vnconfig /dev/vn0c /mnt/dos/image_of_ffs_partition
$ vnconfig -e /dev/vn0c myfilesystem mount=/mnt/ffs

also i'd recommend to prepare image_of_ffs_partition from already
installed FreeBSD (if it's istalled with different /usr,/var,/ -
you'll just need to do a bit more work)

$ dd if=/dev/special_file_with_already_installed_... of=image_of_ffs_par...

unfortunally, i've no idea how to make "/" at vn0c
anybody else has ?!