Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:39:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Pepa <bpepa@msn.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   importing users

Hi:

I'm looking for a script or program that will allow us to easilly import
users from our schools database (and also be able to merge them in the
future and delete the graduates) onto our FreeBSD server as user accounts.

We have 2000+ students and adding them manually would take weeks.  The
database we export from the school system is (or can be) comma delimted or
fixed-field length containing:
firstname,lastname,address1,address2,city,province,postalcode,homephone,workphone,emergencyphone,grade,homeroom

It would have to:
 1) Take the firstname and lastname to generate a username (IE: Ben Pepa --> bpepa)
 2) Chop the longernames downto 8 charactors
 3) Make duplicate usernames unique (John F Smith, John D Smith --> jfsmith / jdsmith or even jsmith1, jsmith2, etc...)
 4) Able to take names and delete them as a batch (say, when our grade 12's graduate, can take the list of graduates and delete their user account)
 5) Assign temporary passwords -- maybe their address or postal code

Is their any program that does this, or something close to this?

Thanks for any input;
Ben