Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:03:40 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC stack-smashing extension

While I agree with you 100%, I also echo the thoughts of David Geirsson.

I am as careful and diligent as I know how to be with software I write,
patch, or hack. However, I use a lot of OSS software, and not all of it
is written by those with the experience of a Darren Reed or Matt Dillon.
I'm modest enough to accept that my own code isn't always as bullet-proof
as it might be, too.

I figure another layer to the security onion can't hurt, and am looking
for insights as to the patch's usefulness and integrity, rather than a
conversation on whether it's necessary!

Dave