Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:51:00 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Nils Holland" <ncptiddische@compuserve.com>, "Bhishan Hemrajani" <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changing console colors

>>man vidcontrol<
>
>This does indeed work, I can set the foreground / background colors I like.
>But it seems that only the virtual console I'm currently working on uses
>the colors I set using vidcontrol. So how can I set my system up so that at
>boot time ALL the virtual consoles use the background/foreground colors I
>specify? I thought that I could use rc.conf, but while it's possible to set
>(for example) the look of the cursor in that file, man rc.conf doesn't say
>anything about setting colors...

Take a look at the following option from /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

    allscreens_flags=""       # Set this vidcontrol mode for all virtual
screens

Copy it to your /etc/rc.conf file and add the commands you want; these are
sent to vidcontrol on boot, and affect all virtual terminals.

>Another question about vidcontrol: I tried to change my video mode (well, I
>did only want to try it, I'm happy with the default...). I entered
>vidcontrol -i mode and I got a list of modes supported by my system. When I
>entered (for example) vidcotrol 80x60 it said "Invalid argument", although
>this mode was listed as being supported. What could be the problem? Answers
>to this question are also welcome, although the first question about the
>colors is more important to me.

Have you recompiled your kernel with 'options  VESA' included? See
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT.

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor