Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:12:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Earl <elarsen2@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clock not keeping time

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:26:51PM -0600, Earl wrote:
> I change the clock to the correct time. And the next day when I log in=20
> the time is worng. How can I fix this. So that it will keep the correct=
=20
> time.

In general, use ntpd(8) to synch your sytem clock to various time
servers on the net.  This works well on a broadband or always-on
connection, but be warned that it will bring up a dial-up line about
every twenty minutes, so it's probably not what you want in that
situation -- an alternative in that case is to use ntpdate(8) out of
your /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup script.

Here's a sample /etc/ntp.conf that you can probably just drop into
your system.  See http://fortytwo.ch/time/ for details of the
'pool.ntp.org' system.  Replace the nework number and netmask in the
3rd line with the ones appropriate to your site:

    restrict default nomodify nopeer         # Restrict access ...
    restrict 127.0.0.1                       # ... except for me ...
    restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0  # ... an the local net

    server pool.ntp.org
    server pool.ntp.org
    server pool.ntp.org

    pidfile /var/run/ntpd.pid
    driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift

See also the lists of public stratum 2 servers at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html for some more
servers if you need them.  Plus consult your ISP -- most will make NTP
servers available for their customers.

To turn on NTP using the ntp.conf above in your system add:

    ntpdate_enable=3D"YES"
    ntpdate_flags=3D"-b -s pool.ntp.org"
    xntpd_enable=3D"YES"
    xntpd_flags=3D""

to your /etc/rc.conf (The 'xntpd' bit is historic -- ntpd(8) was
called xntpd(8) for some time).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20