Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 22:28:47 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        noor@comrax.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID-1 support under FreeBSD

On 5 Nov 2000 15:40:37 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>> I've been reading the archives regarding hardware RAID-1 support under
>> FreeBSD. Unfortunately, I didn't get clear answers and recommendations
>> about certain hardware that work well with FreeBSD. Mostly, the people
>> who replied suggested to use vinum to add RAID-1 support.
>>

>http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.1.1R/notes.html section 2.1  lists all=
=20
>supported hardware.=20

www.3ware.com makes a fantastic IDE raid controller.  A 2 port version
(RAID1,0) gives really great speeds and performance.  You cant beat the
price at ~ $130 USD. I have been using a 4 port version with 160 gig on 2
RAID 0 stripes for a couple of months now with fantastic =
price/performance.
I am also deploying a few RAID 1 boxes based on the two port versions.
Drivers are very stable on STABLE, and very fast even in RAID 1.=20

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)