Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:42:59 -0600
From:      "Dimitrios Kalakanis" <dkalakan@Globeset.com>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ThinkPad 560 CDROM install

Hello!

... and as most messages in this box:

Please help!!!

I've been trying to install FreeBSD ver 4.2 on an IBM ThinkPad 560
(Pentium 133, 40 MB ram, 1MB video) via a PCMCIA 4x Panasonic CDROM
model KXL D740.=20

The unit will not boot from CDROM (any kind), so I did create the 2
floppy disks and proceeded. Early in the process it asked to probe the
PC card and it did so successfully (the cdrom responded spinning the
disk)!  However, later on when I  chose my install media to be CDROM, I
received  the response CDROM not found. =20

I realize my configuration is not one of those best supported, but I
wonder if there is any hope for me to do the installation through the
cdrom.

Also, if I do the installation through ftp, would I be able to use my
CDROM drive later on?

My experience is with Linux. My drive is identifiable from numerous
distributions, though I always have to use a special second boot disk.
Is there such a disk for FreeBSD?  Could I build a custom boot disk(s)
(I could get access to a desktop with freebsd source on it)?  Or, are
there any configuration options I could provide/set during the
installation?

Thanks in advance!

Dimitri =20