Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:38:12 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp -auto and caching nameserver

I have ppp setup to dial on demand using the -auto option. I set up a caching
only nameserver and all is well when the ppp connection is up. However, once
an IP address is stored in cache and if the ppp connection is down, any
service requests (ftp, pop3, etc.) to a cached IP address will timeout. It
will go fine if the connection is already up. I did not see this without the
caching only nameserver so my theory is that if a DNS lookup does not trigger
a dial out then the service connection will timeout.

I realize that this is hard to explain so I hope the above makes sense. Is
there a way to have a cahing only nameserver and dial on demand without
getting service connection timeouts? Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson				Technician
USDA-ARS-SRRC				Phone: (504) 286-4252