Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:02:24 +0200
From:      Anders Franzen <uabfra@uab.ericsson.se>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: loadable drivers

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <39ED9B42.417E88FD@uab.ericsson.se> Anders Franzen writes:
> : Hi, I'm playing around with the linux pcmcia/cardbus drivers.
>
> What does this have to do with FreeBSD?

Not much except that I have successfully!! ported it to FreeBSD!!!!!.
/Fra

> : Since I crash quite often I would like to do it with modules.
> : The problem is that if I don't put any driver for the pcicl chip
> : the PCI bus driver hands it over to the chip 'device/bus' and I
> : wont see it when I attach the module to the PCI bus.
> :
> : Is there anyway of doing this or  must  certain drivers (bridges) be
> : linked
> : in the kernel?
>
> Sure.  The cardbus drivers haven't been tested as loadable modules,
> but pccard and pcic work great as far as I can tell.
>
> Warner

My question was: how can I take control over the 82365 from a loadable
driver. Since if the driver is not part of the kernel, the pci bus
configuration
hands the chip over to a 'pseudo driver' chip. And when I load my driver
I wont see the 82365 (TI 1225 in this case).