Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:32:03 -0600
From:      Dan Rue <drue@therub.org>
To:        jan.muenther@nruns.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scripts

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 06:27:52PM +0100, jan.muenther@nruns.com wrote:
> I just wanted to say quickly that I'd recommend *not* ever taking '.' into
> your path - when someone wants you to execute something and places it into a
> directory where both have write rights and names it like the binary you're
> supposed to call, it's going to get executed first.
There's a lot of things that you shouldn't do that people do every day.
To minimize risk, if you insist on having a '.' in your path, the most
important thing is to put it at the _end_ of your path.  This way, when
you type a command, it will hopefully find the real command first.  If
it's at the beginning of your path, and you're on a multi-user system,
you're just asking for trouble.

dan