Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:12:19 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Charlie & <root@enigami.com>, Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and 2 screens?

On Fri, 19 June 1998 at 22:21:19 -0400, Charlie & wrote:
> Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net> writes:
>
>> 	I was wondering if it were possible to have XFree control 2 video
>> cards,  with 2 monitors,  without conflicting,  and allow me to control
>> each one interchangeably?  Would it be possible with 1 card?
>
> I believe xinside sells an X server that will do this, but I haven't
> tried it.  If you do, and it works, let me know.  Xinside is at
> <http://www.xinside.com>.  The multi-headed server costs $300, and the
> cards have to be the same.

I've been running an older version of this server for years.  They
didn't always have to be the same, but I know there have always been
severe restrictions on the combinations.  I'm using an ATI Mach 64 and
an old Matrox Millenium.

> Alternatively, there are some high end cards that support two heads,
> but I don't know if any are supported by XFree86.

I think we need to clarify the original question.  What exactly does
(anonymous) want to do?  It's not clear that (s)he is even interested
in running X.

Greg