Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 01:37:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        lray@aurora.liunet.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: INN port problems

		Hi there folx,

> On Wed, 14 Feb 1996 lray@aurora.liunet.edu wrote:
> >
> > I've installed INN from the port, but I cannot seem to configure it
> > correctly.  I keep getting "File exists writing symlinking article file --
> > throttling" errors, and even though I tried compiling without MMAP as the
> > FAQ suggests, the errors won't go away.
>
>     Have you tried renumbering your active file to see if that fixes
> the problem?  See the ctlinnd command.

	yes , it should solve the problem ... Good advice is to
	get and read thru the INN FAQ - it's absolutely the Best
	FAQ IMHO.

	I have other INN related Q for FreeBSD addicts :) here:

	what is expirience with running FreeBSD PCs as INND
	servers with full news feed ? Is it capable of handling
	the load ? Any IO/CPU limitations ?

	I run P6-200 here as news server - runs just fine, load
	averages are ~0.3-0.5 , readers peak at ~200-300, total
	of ~23.000 newsgroups in active, 3 days expire average,
	370.000 - 420.000 inodes used in /usr/spool/uucp.

	4 sites feed me , but I have feeling I do miss a LOT.

	I have average BW of 15-20Kbytes/sec to all 4 of 'em.
	Round-trips range from 40ms to 90ms.

	[ going away from freebsd-hackers here :) ]

	What can possibly be done to speed the things up ?
	Any sense in using batch/compression   mode ,assuming
	4 peers ?
	As I understand in this case IHAVE doesn't work so
	I'll be fed ALL articles and will have to check for whether
	I have 'em afterwards ? So even though me and my sender will
	certainly save some time in IHAVE/open() cycle, significant
	BW will be consumed by sending the (compressed)articles I
	already have.

	Any personal preferences as whose Newsfeed is the best ? :)
	Any1 willing to peer at NYC-DC area ?

	Rashid.