Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 15:58:55 -0500
From:      Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   connecting to Sybase

Sybase uses a multiple layer package consisting of Client Library,
Net Library, and (optionally) DB Library.  They have published
a client kit for Linux as a totally unsupported free download.
If you want to construct a cross-compiling environment for Linux
executables (a.out) you should be albe to write Client Library
applications that will run under FreeBSD's Linux emulation.

Probably a better choice (among several non-optimal options) would
be to write your stuff to run natively on the Sun, then split it
with ONC RPC and run the part with the exposed interfaces on the
FreeBSD web server and let RPC hide the fact that part of it
is running remotely on the Sun box.  O'Reilly has a book called
"Power Programming with RPC" that you would find very helpful if
you decided to go this route.

Another quick and dirty option would be to run your SQL queries
via an rsh'd session of isql.  You can clean up the output via
a piped awk process.  Definitely not the most efficient method,
but it would work for low volume queries.

Good luck.  -rs

> I need a way of connecting our FreeBSD webserver to a Sybase Database
> (running on a Sun).  I was hoping to use a perl script and Sybperl, but it
> apears that Sybperl needs Sybase to be installed on the local machine (or
> at least some of the libraries from the Sybase server).
>
> I believe there is something called OpenClient which is normal installed
> on a machine to allow it to connect to a remote Sybase server.  Anybody
> know of anything like this for FBSD?  Where would I find such a product?

  Richard Scranton  LDA SYSTEMS  Information Management Consulting
scrantr@ix.netcom.com Columbus Cincinnati Cleveland Toledo Atlanta
<http://www.netcom.com/~scrantr/>;  <http://www.lda.com/columbus/>;
<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8c38c4cf>;