Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 10:38:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: ISDN Recommendations Requested...

As Michael Hancock wrote:

> The BISDN stuff is for a TELES card that seems to only support the German
> and maybe other European tel comm interfaces.

There are actually two problems here:

The Teles cards are cheap, so they are much more attractive to the
average user here than more intelligent boards.  However, the European
Telco environment is largely different than that of the US.  ISDN is
being marketed as what it stands for: an _integrated_ solution, not
just a data communications service.  Thus, the NTBA (the adapter
between the Uk0 line and the local S0 bus) is owned and installed by
the Telco here, and every equipment you get operates on the S0 bus.
The intended usage pattern is that you've got more than one device on
this bus (e.g. a Teles board and some telephone equipment).

The second problem is that ISDN technology has been pushed
aggressively in Europe recently, in particular by the German Telekom.
The European Telco's finally agreed on a common switch protocol,
called DSS-1 (sometimes EDSS-1, to refer to it as the European
protocal, the term ``Euro-ISDN'' is also in use), while i think that
the US Telco's are still a few miles away from this point.  BISDN also
still supports the old German 1TR6 switch protocol, but this one is
considered rather obsolete these days, and is mainly uses in in-house
circuits, where the vendors of the communication equipment have not
moved towards EDSS-1 (even though they have to support it on the
outside connection).  Any support for other switch protocols in BISDN
will certainly have to be integrated by people who have actually got
access to it (and who have a fairly well knowledge about the ISDN
protocol itself).  Hellmuth Michaelis ensured me that the architecture
is believed to allow for the easy addition of other switch protocol
implementations.

--
cheers, J"org