Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 14:43:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVS/NFS Core dump mystery

Greetings.  I've been poking around this one to see if I could come up
with a solution, but I've decided I simply dont know enough about CVS or
NFS to make an accurate prognosis.

Here is the scenario.  I have my workstation and server working together
to make my life very easy when developing, storing, previewing and
exporting the websites that I develop.

The system is quite simple, and enables me to be extrememly productive.  I
serve http content directly from my work directory on the server, so that
any changes I make I can preview instantly over the LAN.  When I am happy
with the changes, I commit them to my local CVS repository.  This enables
me to publish the sites using CVS on the remote host.

Until a few days ago I was exclusively using Win32 on the workstation, and
editing my source files over SMB, and there were no problems.

Now I have almost left my daytime job in Windows development, my Win32
usage is becoming less and less, and I am almost ready to make the jump to
a Window-less work environment (I'll still have doors, of course), but I
am having a few problems.

I am exporting my wwwroot to the workstation via NFS, so that I can
continue to use my system.  'Excellent', I hear you say, 'NFS has
problems, but it should be adequate for your particular scenario'.  Here's
the problem.

Workstation:
	cd to mounted wwwroot
	edit a file
	Preview changes instantly on http://vhost.server
	Decide changes are good

Server:
	cd to wwwroot/directory
	cvs commit
	*boom*

[root@merlin]# cvs com
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: .htaccess: 1.1.1.1 and working file are different file types
cvs commit: .htaccess: hard linkage of 1.1.1.1 and working file do not
match
cvs commit: styles.css: 1.1.1.1 and working file are different file types
cvs commit: styles.css: hard linkage of 1.1.1.1 and working file do not
match
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Ouch!  What on earth is that all about?  My understanding is that NFS
should be seamless.  I've made sure that the time/date matches on the
machines too.  I cant check in any changes, and I cant publish any
websites until this is resolved (without going back to Win32, which I dont
particularly want to do).

I need to keep my setup exactly the same as it is now.  I cannot afford to
check my changes in from the workstation, and update the working directory
on the server every time I make a change.  The changes need to be
instantly available with no extra work, so my options are very limited.

Cliff Rowley

- while (!asleep) { code(); }