Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:19:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan <dan@falken.netmetrics.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange Network Problem

	I'm running 2.2.6-release on a P200/64MB with a Intel PRO/100+ PCI
NIC. The box is colocated and assigned a chunk of 10 IPs from a class C.
These IPs have been aliased to the NIC using ifconfig alias function. For
whatever reason, the system keeps disappearing from the network. Attempts
to ping, connect with or traceroute to all timeout or fail. I have tried
pinging other hosts on my segment, as well as the router and everything
responds normally.

	These outages occured a handful of times a few months ago but
never lasted long and corrected themselves. Now it happens constantly, I
keep loosing telnet session, http sessions and then have difficulty
getting back in. If I ping the 2 highest addresses I have been assigned
the server most of the time will come back up after reporting one single
"Request Timed Out". After that, all IPs I have been assigned begin to
respond within normal times. At first I figured this had to be sheer
coincidence, but it appears to be repeatable about 80% of the time.  After
completing the session, the box will go dead within minutes. Monitoring
uptime shows that the box has not rebooted.

	I'm very puzzled by this, I would really appreciate any
suggestions or ideas! Also on the same topic I would like to clear up the
following:

1) Is the ifconfig alias function the proper way to support multiple IPs
on the same NIC? Other un*x implementations usually require the creation
of seperate logical sub-devices for each IP. Does this need to be done in
FreeBSD? Can it be done to provide statistical information on a per-IP
basis?

2) What is the proper netmask for aliased IPs? I have found reasonably
authoritative references to both 255.255.255.255 and 255.255.255.254 in
the archives. I would like to clear this up.

	Thanks.

		Dan
		dan@sns.org