Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 20:05:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jaeger <jaeger@dhp.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 Natoma chipset

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> >         Intel Pentium Pro 200 512K    $1299      Heat Sink/Fan        $15
> >         Intel Pentium Pro 200 256K    $605       Heat Sink/Fan        $15
>
> Yea, right... $1299-$605 == $694.00, just don't seem right for an additonal
> 256K of cache.  I've seen this and similiar numbers around, but no one can
> actuall say, ``YES'', I have a chip right here in my hand I can sell you.

	This is very deliberate.  Before the p6 was introduced, there was an
announcement of the pricing structure for the 256k and 512k cache models and
the difference was proportional.  Intel has positioned the 512k version as a
"server only" chip and as usualy, the "server" people get screwed because
after all, only businesses who can afford this extra cost need "servers."

> And as usual, expect that 512K price to drop substantially over the next
> 30 to 60 days... right now demand is 2 orders of magnitude higher than supply
> and thus is going to keep that price really high.

	As per above, I suspect not.

> >         Intel Pentium 200             $720       Heat Sink/Fan        $11
>
> Opppss... another Intel Bogon, Pentium without any cache is more expensive
> than Pentium Pro with 256K of very fancy cache.  Hummm.. go figure :-)  I

	This is also deliberate.  Intel is pushing the P6, which essentially
has no competition (as opposed to the P5 which appears to be fighting a
losing battle with Cyrix's 6x86 series).  The Wintel crowd is desperate to
remain with the P5 series, since they've been convinced by the trade rags
that they'll see no performance improvement with their (mostly 16-bit) code.
Intel pushes the P6 technology and makes a pretty penny off of the stubborn
at the same time.  Don't knock it, we get the benefits :-).

> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD

-jaeger