Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:28:12 +0100
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO 3945ABG Wireless

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Tuesday, October 10, 2006 09:59:15 +0100 Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> Just a a final note. The (discontinued) wpi driver that Damien started
>> is still floating around and works for some people (although its a
>> little flaky and only gives 6Mbps even for those where it does work.)
>> I have a copy you can try if you like.
>>
> Can you post a url?

http://unsane.co.uk/~jhary/freebsd/wpi-freebsd.tgz

to compile I had to link the extracted wpi-freebsd/wpi directory to
/usr/src/sys/dev/wpi

then I have to load the modules in the following order
kldload firmware.ko (well mines in kernel but if yours isnt)
kldload wpi_ucode.ko
kldload if_wpi.ko

And occasionally I loose the interface and need to
kldunload wpi_ucode
kldunload if_wpi
kldload wpi_ucode

It works well enough for me but I know other people havent got it working.
> Why isn't anyone working on updating it?
I wish I knew, Damien stopped developing for FreeBSD cause of
disagreements with other developers (he says something about it in a
kerneltrap interview if i remember rightly. Luca Morettoni one of the
Freesbie developers said he'd have a look at it last time i sent a link
to it to one of the freebsd lists, but I havent heard more since then.
Sadly I'm not a coder and wouldnt know where to start with it myself.

Vince