Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:34:18 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed minor mod to openssh for interactive operation

At 3:28 AM -0700 10/4/00, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 05:23:30PM -0700, Matt Dillon wrote:
>
> >     I have trivial patches (two minor tests), any objections to
> >     my committing them?  Also, I'm not sure whether we are trying
> >     to keep our openssh synced with openbsd's.  Does anyone know
> >     the procedure for making changes to openssh in FreeBSD's CVS tree?
>
>You should contribute these patches back to the OpenSSH developers
>first - see www.openssh.com for contact details. I dont like making
>changes to our version of openssh unless we have to, since it makes my
>job harder managing the divergences when I import a new version. If
>you really can't get them to accept the patches, then let me know..

I would also like to plead that we try and keep openssh on freebsd
as close to the "official" one as possible.  Here at RPI, I ssh
between systems running freebsd, openbsd, MacOS 10pb, AIX, Solaris,
IRIX, and even a nextstation or two.  Adding features that only
appear on one platform is pretty useless to me.

Adding them to the "official portable openssh" is much more useful.
Note that the "portable openssh" is different than the openssh
which openbsd comes with, so we aren't trying to keep in sync
with openbsd per se.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute