Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to print plain ASCII file

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Is there a tutorial/source for printing simple ASCII files.

If it's really a plain ascii file, you will like:

cat  (filname) | /dev/lpt0 or your printer's device.

To check where's your printer, you might first like to know that:

port LP1 in dos = /dev/lpt0 in FreeBSD
port LP2 in dos = /dev/lpt1 ...

> I read the handbook and the "simple setup" seems nothing, but simple.
> First of all it seems to assume nothing is setup. Aren't there some
> defaults already setup by the installation?

Well there's a printer spooler, enable printer sharing between as much
users as you like. It's not so complicated to set up (as it is not by
default...) I guess that you have to learn, my friend.

> I am willing to put all the answers on a tutorial.

Good idea, I might as well do the same for my trials/mistakes...

> I also looked at man lpr. It seemed to imply about a variable (I think
> PRINTER) with the name of the printer. My PRINTER variable is blank.

Don't know about that. What I know is that lpr knows bout a "default"
printer defined in the config.

> Is there a parameter I should send to lpr? -P<what_here?>

Yes there is. If you don't want to print to your default printer. It's:
lpr -P<printer name> . My printcap file looks like this:

raven|lp|matrix|Raven PR-9101 multi-mode printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/raven/:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/if-raven:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sh:

Here the printer's name is raven or lp or matrix or ...

Anyway, read the doc, it was clear enough for me, i it's not for you, wait
awhile, I will make a tutarial on my webpage soon. :)

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |