Date:      24 May 2002 16:31:50 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        Tim E Schafer <tim_schafer@agship.com>, "'Java FreeBSD'" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: All Linux JDK with Hotspot or JIT unstable on FreeBSD

Am Fr, 2002-05-24 um 16.20 schrieb Greg Lewis:
> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 04:50:43PM -0700, Tim E Schafer wrote:
> > I may have to use Linux for some up coming stuff where native threads is
> > a make or break feature
>
> You do realise that native threads != HotSpot?  You can happily run the
> Linux JDK under emulation with native threads using the classic VM for
> 1.3.x and earlier.  HotSpot is only required to be used for 1.4.

Not that anybody would usually want to use native threads without
hotspot, but just for the records I was unsuccessful to use *ANY* native
threads Linux JVM with FreeBSD.

The case that hurt me most was that special Linux JVM that comes bundled
with the ORACLE 8.1.x installer.  It aborts on FreeBSD and the ORACLE
Installer solidly refuses to run with any other JVM out there. They have
serialized JAVA objects in their archive, and that can only be
deserialized with their own JVM :(

So, if somone could take on the task of fixing the Linux threads
emulation, I'd gratefully buy him or her a beer. Or even two.

--
Regards,
Georg.