Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 1995 12:10:41 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Some serious problems with telnet in FreeBSD 2.0.5 R

I have some serious problems with our terminal emulators in Macintoshes and PC:s

One problem is Macintosh NCSA Telnet 2.6:

 - minor problem: on connect it does not prompt "login:" it does
   write the line "FreeBSD (itu.cc.jyu.fi) (ttyp0)"
   After extra return user will get the login:

 - major problem: on vi and emacs Contro-Z works strange:
   1. it does not move the cursor to the end of screen
   2. if a give command fg, emacs and vi do not go to the character mode
      and do not redraw the screen, terminal seems to be on line mode.
   Thsi same problem with DOS NCSA Telnet

Problem with FTP Software (DOS) telnet and (Windows) tnvt terminal emulators:

 - in the preferences I can set Enter = cr+lf  or  Enter = cr
   cr+lf nor cr works perfect:
   FreeBSD is interpreting cr+lf as two Enters
   if I define Enter=cr FreeBSD is outputting characters ^@ (NULL?)
   to the start of next line
   and I cannot for example enter "." to the
   start of line (because FreeBSD is seeing the ^@ in the start of every line)

It seems that FreeBSD's telnetd is waiting for NewLine character (^J) not
the Return (^M) character at end of line. Other systems here (Linux, SunOS,
HPUX) seem to accept both cr+lf and cr.

Is cr+lf or cr a matter of TERMCAP entry (vt220, vt200)? Or is this problem
in telnetd code?

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !