Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:38:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        "Robert S. Sciuk" <rob@controlq.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> The Intel platform would seem to be dying, and we'd do well to port to
> better platforms. Our alpha code is ages cleaner than the x86 code, at
> least.

Heh.  I'm not sure I'd share your conclusion that "The Intel platform
is dying" given the extreme growth and increased competition I've been
seeing in that marketplace; there are even x86 compatible chips which
are beginning to compete with the StrongARM in terms of price and
power consumption, and let's not forget our friends at Transmeta
driving the next generation of flat panel "Internet computing slates".

Nonetheless, there's been a lot of discussion about porting FreeBSD to
other architectures lately and everyone seems to come around to the
same question: "What can I do?"

Porting to a new architecture is a pretty straight-forward process
which involves getting gcc and the toolchain to support the new
architecture (David O'Brien has imported partial support for a number
of non-x86 architectures already so talk to him if you want to
coordinate your efforts) so you can actually compile things.  Then one
should go after locore.s and friends and start researching some of the
first necessary device drivers, those usually including the system
console and serial port drivers, so that you can get to the
all-important single user shell prompt milestone.  At that point,
other people will tend to see your efforts as being "real" enough to
get seriously involved in rounding out the device driver support and
work on the next milestone, which is multi-user mode. :)

If you're truly serious about seeing FreeBSD on a new architecture,
that's what needs to happen.  Volunteering to be a tester or rock
polisher is kinda gratuitous until one or more people are already
engaged in the process of tackling the toolchain and kernel bootstrap
code.

- Jordan