Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:54:00 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apple's open source...

Hi all,

Well, what's the verdict...  http://www.publicsource.apple.com/

I'm not one for Brett style advocacy, but this takes the cake.  They
used BSD and CMU licensed software to develop most of the OS, and then
release it with a big announcement of 'open source' under a more
restrictive license...  Seems to be basically the Netscape Public
Licence with a s/Netscape/Apple Public/g.  And they invite ESR to the
launch.

Not one mention of NetBSD, or FreeBSD.  And yes we remember that they
used a NetBSD userland, with lots of FreeBSD thrown in...

http://www.geocrawler.com/mail_msg.php3?msg_id=928440&c=3
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail_msg.php3?msg_id=772422&c=3

At the very least they're in violation of the BSD advertising clause...

 -Jeremy