Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:30:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird kernel problem

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Jim Weeks wrote:

> > Most likely explanation is that your userland/kernel are not in fact
> > in sync, and kldstat is reading garbage instead of the actual stats
> > (similarly for the other problems).
>
> Maybe this is too simple and obvious, but nothing has been mentioned
> about Installworld and Mergemaster.
>
> You have done this haven't you?

I already said I did "make world" which of course performs installworld.
I've kept the /etc/rc* files up to date. Doesn't explain why one works and
one doesn't.
  As I said. The kernels, the top command and all the shared libraries are
identical on both machines. What else can cause this problem? What causes
kldsym to fail on one machine and not the other?
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key