Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 08:48:00 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

In message <20000524102426.A8590@dan.emsphone.com>, Dan Nelson writes:
> In the last episode (May 24), Chuck Paterson said:
> > The 386 processors do not support the locked exchange instruction.
> > For these systems the locked exchange can be replaced with roughly a
> > "cli, tst, cmp, branch, store, sti".
> >
> > 	The following are the obvious choices
> >
> > 	1. Make two separate builds.
>
> Why not just make it conditional on the "cpu I386_CPU" line in the
> kernel Makefile?  The comment already reads:
>
> # deleting the specification for CPUs you don't need to use may make
> # parts of the system run faster.  This is especially true removing
> # I386_CPU.
>
> Distribute GENERIC just like usual, and let the user remove I386_CPU
> when he builds his own kerenl.

... and have the user select options to build a custom kernel just
after install, the same way Tru64-UNIX does.

> > I have talked to a couple of people who think that supporting this
> > older stuff won't be important to FreeBSD by the time the kernel is
> > preemptive. Some even thought supporting the original Pentium
> > processors might not be required. I'll propose the following as it
>
> I wouldn't go that far, unless you're thinking 3-4 years in the future?
> There are a lot of overdrive and AMD CPUs out there that use the 486
> instruction set.

486's make good cheap firewalls.  You'll probably see them in use for
that and other roles for a lot longer than you think.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC