Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 14:15:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> > I was wondering if its possible to write a program which would do
> > 'dial on demand', by grabbing packets, and seeing if they are destined
> > to go out of the system, and if so, run a script(which would cause a
> > dialup). I know ijppp can do this, but I have problems with ijppp =)
>
> Maybe you should first address your problems with iijppp.  Are you the
> bloke who gets a line drop after 30 seconds?  Did you follow up
> Brian's suggestions?  What happened?

Maybe he's just the bloke who uses SLIP instead of PPP, or the bloke
who wants to work on ISDN code for the 4 second reconnect.

Or maybe he's like me, and he can't get the thing to idle disconnect
because of the !@#$! keep-alives that are near-impossible to turn
off if you have a local net as well.

There are a lot of general uses, besides PPP, for interface event
notification.  PPP just uses one of them.

In answer to te original question, yes, it's possible, if you are the
packet transporter and use the tunnel devices, just like iijppp, to
let you sleep waiting for a packet "event".  But there is no general
event interface, even though it's becoming more and more of a kludge
to not have one (e.g.: say I want to register for a directory change
event because I'm a file browser, and I want to see files show up
immediately, not after 10's of seconds when my poll-the-directory
timer fires off).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---