Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 14:31:19 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, pds@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just CVS (was Re: CVS question, sendmail, named)

> What I'm really trying to do (and maybe "make release" doesn't do it?) is
> to build a -SNAP of my current sources in order to play with newer
> sysinstall's and clone my system to friend's machines without having to
> download the entire -GAMMA's.

You need the CVS repository, e.g. you need to use CVSUP but your tag
value, if any, should be `.' and your release name should be cvs.  Here's
how I update my own CVS repository:

----- cut here -----
*default prefix=/home/ncvs base=/a host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org release=cvs delete compress use-rel=suffix

## Main Source Tree
src-all
src-eBones
src-secure

# Other stuff
ports-all
www
----- cut here -----

Once you have the full CVS repository online, make sure that your
CVSROOT environment variable points to it (``setenv CVSROOT /home/ncvs''
for my example above) and then go do this:

cd /usr/src/release
make release BUILDNAME=3.0-MY-SNAP CHROOTDIR=/some/big/filesystem/release

An entire release will be built in /some/big/filesystem/release and you
will have a full FTP-type installation in /some/big/filesystem/release/R/ftp
when you're done.  If you want to build your SNAP along some other branch
than -current, you can also add RELEASETAG=SOMETAG to the make release
command line above, e.g. RELEASETAG=RELENG_2_2 would build an up-to-the-
minute 2.2 GAMMA snapshot.

This should probably be a FAQ. :-)

					Jordan