Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:35:41 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routers, kernel parameters and bizarro netstat -m output

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:07:37 -0700 (PDT), in
sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>If you're handling lots of TCP connections (which routers generally
>don't), then you want to use some options to increase the number of mbufs.
>But I don't think you need to for a router.

Yes, I imagine blatting packets around from interface to interface
shouldnt require too many TCP connections to the machine at all.

>> The machine I am readying gives some numbers at initial bootup that are a
>> little confusing.  Why for example would a machine that has yet to do
>> anything really, come up with value like this
>>
>> temp-iolite# netstat -m
>> 199 mbufs in use:
>>         194 mbufs allocated to data
>>         1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>>         3 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
>>         1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
>> 192/206 mbuf clusters in use
>  ^^^^^^^

However I am a little worried that I cant seem to get the amount of
mbufs in use to available at such a close ratio.  Should not there be
way more free ?  I thought these values had hard limits and do not
grow ?

% netstat -m
199 mbufs in use:
        194 mbufs allocated to data
        1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        3 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
192/194 mbuf clusters in use
412 Kbytes allocated to network (99% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Is what I get at initial bootup with MAXUSERS set to 128....