Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:38:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Respawn in BSD?

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:18:16 -0800 (PST), Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com> said:
>
> > In the System V inittab file, you can give the 'respawn' keyword so that
> > if the given process ever dies, init will automatically restart it.  I've
> > seen this used to ensure that cron is alway running, for example.
>
> > How is it possible to do this in FreeBSD?  Processes listed in /etc/ttys
> > are restarted, but that's for getty and friends, and isn't really
> > appropriate for cron, etc.
>
> By writing programs that don't have bugs in them causing random
> crashes.

Of course.  And all my programs are written this well.  :)
But it's possible for processes to die from external causes, even if it's
something as simple as a super-user making a typo in a kill command.  It
would seem to make sense to have some way of automatically recovering
from something like this.  Are you saying that it's not possible in BSD?

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503