Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:06:10 -0500
From:      Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Hackers'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New utilities: factor(1) and wid(1)?

I have 2 utilities that are not in FreeBSD.

- The first if factor(1) ala SVR4.  It prints the prime factors of a
number.  I sometimes use it to find the "most efficient" geometry for a HD.
 It is written for 'long's, but I want to have it pick 'int'/'long'/'long
long' (all unsigned) based on the input for speed (it uses adds, not
multiplies).

- The second (non Unix) is wid(1).  It finds the "width" of a file (longest
line).  It can print longest, shortest, average (mean), totals and can
ignore trailing spaces.  Suggestions for any other features is welcomed.

Any comments...?

Max

P.S. Both of these are from _my_ shareware package "udos" and I am willing
to give the full rights to FreeBSD.

P.P.S. After the "fiasco" with my changes to more(1) (finding out about
'stty rows XX cols XX'), I figure I should try some more simple things
until I'm more used to FreeBSD 8-).

-----
Max Euston <meuston@jmrodgers.com>
Sysadm, Programmer, etc...