Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 07:26:01 PST
From:      "John McNamee" <jpm@microwiz.com>
To:        shultz@mail.gld.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and PAP

>     I have successfully setup server pppd. Only, can't figure out how to
> except PAP loggins without requiring them to go through a normal
> login first, then running pppd and authenticating again with PAP, which
> seams kind of redundant.
>     From what I understand so far, during a PAP login the server is
> supposed to recognize that a packet driven login is occuring and by pass
> the normal login and instead do a ppp PAP authentication. Anyone know
> how to do this with FreeBSD?

You need the "mgetty" replacement for the standard FreeBSD getty process.
See ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/networking/communication/modem/mgetty/.
I'm running the "0.99-dec31" distribution, which was rumored to be more
stable than recent releases.  I can't confirm or deny that -- I can only say
that this version has worked well for me.  The version of mgetty in the 2.1R
ports collection is old, and does not support the "Auto PPP" option you're
looking for.  I don't know if Current has a more recent port.  Manually
grabbing the source code and compiling it under FreeBSD isn't difficult.

--
John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>                 MicroWizards
Voice: 702-825-3535 / FAX: 702-825-3443         http://www.microwiz.com