Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:48:15 -0600
From:      Robert Lipe <robertlipe@usa.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pci bus enumeration & cdevsw indexing

Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 08:51:37 -0600, Robert Lipe wrote:
> > Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> That is probably the direction you want to go in.  We've got a device
> infrastructure already (new-bus), which is probably what you want to use.

This is the second mention I've heard of this.  I'm about to travel, but
will investigate newbus upon my return.

> If you probed and attached UDI devices apart from new-bus, you'll probably
> run into all sorts of resource conflicts.  (cards with two drivers attached
> and stepping on each other...)

We have variations of this problems in other OSes.  If you have two
different drivers for the exact same piece of hardware, which one do you
use?  (One of the OSes answers "both" which works really well when you
pop the second one in and it resets the hardware that's controlling your
root filesystem. :-)

> I do know that we have the concept of probe priorities, so you could
> probably set up UDI to probe at a higher priority than the default system
> drivers, and therefore attach instead of the default FreeBSD driver for a
> given piece of harware.

That's clever.

> > It is.   I'd like the reference implementation to ship in source form.
> > It currently make extensive use of modules.
>
> Cool, it'll be interesting to see the source.

It's a brief time (low nubmer of weeks) until the NDAs on the reference
implementation go away.  I have the core stuff up on FreeBSD/IA32, but I
probably won't be able to get it over the finish line by myself.  Many
of the concepts have mapped very well so far.

Thanx,
RJL