Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:32:03 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with "rmuser"

Thus spake Odhiambo:

> > After a cvsupping and doing complete update yesterday, I now have
> > a very funny problem - I can't remove users!
> >
> > everest# rmuser test2
> > Matching password entry:
> > test2:RUgtD0aLuma/E:5259:1004::0:0:Test Two:/home/test2:/nonexistent
> >
> > Is this the entry you wish to remove? y
> >
> > Remove user's home directory (/home/test2)? y
> >
> > Removing user's at jobs:Updating password file,
> > /usr/sbin/rmuser: Error: Couldn't open file :
> >  No such file or directory
> >
> > Is there something wierd I might have done?

Replied I:

> I don't think so.  It looks like some recent changes broke rmuser.
> I'm looking into it.

It looks like rmuser is indeed broken.  I submitted a PR with the
following patch, which works for me.  As usual, there is no guarantee
that this won't totally destroy your password database; use with
*extreme* caution.

  http://www.slb.to/~lucas/patches/rmuser-200108011320.diff

Apply the patch in /usr/src/usr.sbin/adduser.

Lucas