Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 2009 07:08:42 -0500
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: local copy of handbook

--Sig_/r+IYAbCjj4G=j/FR=GbGzEz

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:59:04 -0500
Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:39:42 +0530
>Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 29 December 2008 18:15:58 RW wrote:
>> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:16:42 +0530
>> > "Masoom Shaikh" <masoom.shaikh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > lso I cud use tarballs from FTP, but is there easy way to install

>> > If you do it that way, you have to generate the html files
>> > yourself, cvup fetches generic data files that can be used to
>> > generate html , pdf etc.
>> >
>> > What I do these days is mirror the online version with wget.
>> >

>> > #!/bin/sh
>> >
>> > cd /usr/share/doc/en
>> >
>> > wg_args=3D" --mirror -np -nH --cut-dirs=3D2 --limit-rate=3D33k"
>> >
>> > bg_flags=3D""
>> >
>> > # Run quietly from cron
>> > [ ! -t 0 ] && bg_flags=3D" --quiet "
>> >
>> > wget $bg_flags $wg_args
>> > "http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/"
>>=20
>> that is clever use of wget :)
>> but can't docs remain updated with csup ? if yes, how ?
>> otherwise I will be happy to generate them from sources if they
>> happen to be some simple target
>
>You might consider using Docsnap.  This allows you to maintain all
>the FreeBSD documentation with a minimum of effort.
>
>Docsnap is an rsync repository for easy updating of installed
>FreeBSD documentation (/usr/share/doc).
>
>The first run may take longer but subsequent updates take very
>little time.  Only the differences in the documents are transferred.
>That is the main advantage but you also do not need to install ports
>with hefty overhead to build documents.
>
>Rsync is only utility required (/usr/ports/net/rsync). Typical usage:
>
>  # rsync -rltvz docsnap.sk.FreeBSD.org::docsnap /usr/share/doc/
>
>For more information see http://docsnap.sk.freebsd.org/ and possibly
>the rsync manual page.

I was having a problem reaching that URL; however, I found that this
one: http://www.oook.cz/bsd/docsnap.html did seem to work. In any case,
I am unable to get the 'rsync' command to work. This is the output of
one such attempt.

~ $ sudo rsync -rltvz docsnap.sk.FreeBSD.org::docsnap /usr/share/doc/
rsync: failed to connect to docsnap.sk.FreeBSD.org: Operation timed out
(60) rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(124)
[receiver=3D3.0.5]

This has happened continually for the past few days. I am not sure if
it is a temporary problem or or permanent one.

--=20
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com

A crow perched himself on a telephone wire. He was going to make a
long-distance caw.

--Sig_/r+IYAbCjj4G=j/FR=GbGzEz

--Sig_/r+IYAbCjj4G=j/FR=GbGzEz--