Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:36:13 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi-2 and ultra-wide scsi in the same server...

At 14:43 10.01.00 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi folx
>
>I have a Compaq Prosignia server, quite and old one, it's a 90MHz
>pentium machine with a scsi-2 controller on the motherboard and two
>1gb scsi-2 disks.
>
>Is there any issues with putting a Symbios dual channel ultra-wide
>scsi controller into this machine? will FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE find the
>new two controllers OK and leave the onboard scsi as controller 0?

Hi!

Should be no issue if standard card and the mainboard being upgradefriendly...
FreeBSD should use the sym driver, then it should also recognizte the card,
if the mainboard will fire the Symbios up correctly.
If it leaves the onboard controller as controller #0, you'll have the check
wheter in BIOS setup of them, the controller #0 AFAIR has to have a lower
adress.

>Also, does anyone know if I can put ATA disks in this machine? It
>doesn't have any ide/ata drives in there at the moment, but as it's a
>PC (that was running NT when I got it) I assume it would have IDE
>controllers? Could I put a 16Gb ATA drive in it?

Do not know this in this particular machine, but in general, most machines
have also IDE onboard, and if not, you may spend little money and put an
E-IDE card into it. some are available for about 10 U$ (20 DM here in
Germany), which will utilize the mainboards BIOS. This would ba a problem,
because the old BIOS back then (I remember an Intel Plato board with the
first P90 those days (95)) that only allowed IDE up to 2 GB. Later they
were happy with 8 GB limit, but thats all you can get out of that.

Or you invest some more money for an IDE controller with an own BIOS, like
some of Promise or so... there are even some cheap cache controllers that
you can pick up used. I'd also check ebay or so for some thingies.

Also then you have really to worry about booting issues, because IDE
usually comes before SCSI. the BIOS switch to put SCSI first has been
iinvented later. Old ( I remember an NCR 810 card) controllers came with a
special jumper that lowered their adress below that of IDE controller, so
that they could boot up first.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)