Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:23:08 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "dteske@FreeBSD.org Teske" <dteske@FreeBSD.org>, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.2 Boot Problem
References:  <175D3755-BB9B-4EAD-BDAD-06E9670E06AB@lafn.org> <186472F9-A97B-4863-81BC-67BE788D5E9A@lafn.org> <a865b8f2ccb9ad4918544bad3d49554d.authenticated@ultimatedns.net> <791C8200-023A-4ACB-9B6F-F5A8B0E170F4@lafn.org> <5bfb4fb619954c3dfbd3499aafa98917.authenticated@ultimatedns.net> <4F983E6A-0A7D-403C-AFAA-9CCCCB05716F@lafn.org> <feeca307c8da9ca3b385cf47d75904a7.authenticated@ultimatedns.net> <0f3f01cf5439$13cf8570$3b6e9050$@FreeBSD.org> <981CAA9F-1E67-4E56-A119-BA6D1D29F383@lafn.org>

On 9 April 2014, at 16:53, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

>=20
> On 9 April 2014, at 14:17, dteske@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>>=20
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>>> syms=3D[0x4+0xeda80+0x4+0x1b8ebf]
`.....---.......--.```   -/
Socrates' 9.2
>>> autoboot timeout
>>> the logo to an
>>> did boot.  I
>>> of options
>>> present.  I have
>>> ;)
I'm
>>> guessing
>>> OFF
I know
>>> --
>>> Still waits for
>>> reading the
>>> 100 miles away.
>>>=20
>>> See my reply to this. I think I've given you the hints you need -- =
fingers
>>> crossed. :)
>>>=20
>>=20
>> He's using console=3Dcomconsole (serial boot).
>> When that is the case, loader_color is automatically set to NO.
>> There's no reason to set both loader_color=3DNO and console=3D
>> comconsole. The code that does this is here:
>>=20
>> =
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/9.2.0/sys/boot/forth/color.4th?revi=
sion=3D255898&view=3Dmarkup
>> Line 48 within the loader_color? function:
>> 	boot_serial? if FALSE else TRUE then
>>=20
>> As for answering the quandary of where the keyboard is polled
>> during the timeout countdown, that's the getkey function in here:
>>=20
>> =
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/9.2.0/sys/boot/forth/menu.4th?revis=
ion=3D255898&view=3Dmarkup
>> --=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I commented out the 3 cursor positions in menu-timeout-update.  It =
does not appear that word is being used.  The Autoboot message never =
appeared.  Obviously getkey is being used as it does respond properly to =
a return.  I am beginning to suspect that menu_timeout_enabled is zero.  =
I believe adding a line after getkey's begin with
>=20
>        s"menu_timeout_enabled =3D " type menu_timeout_enabled @ . 10 =
spaces
>=20
> will tell me.

There is a missing space after the first " above.  However, that does =
confirm my suspicion that menu_timeout_enabled is set to 0.  It is only =
displayed once.  On a working system the value is 1 and that message is =
output numerous times until the 10 seconds expires and then the boot =
begins.

Now to figure out how that value is getting set incorrectly.