Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 02:00:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
Cc:        lray@aurora.liunet.edu, FREEBSD-QUESTIONS-L <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Building a large FreeBSD news server

On Wed, 15 Feb 1995, Rashid Karimov wrote:

> >     Have you tried renumbering your active file to see if that fixes
> > the problem?  See the ctlinnd command.
>
> 	yes , it should solve the problem ... Good advice is to
> 	get and read thru the INN FAQ - it's absolutely the Best
> 	FAQ IMHO.

    Yep, people aren't kidding when they say that.  Between the FAQ
and the Install.[12] documentation with inn-1.4unoff3, I was able to
get my very first large-scale INN server running in about an hour
after unpacking the source.  Within a day, I was running crossfeeds
with 4 other sites.  For something as complex as Usenet news
administration, it was dead simple to setup.

> 	what is expirience with running FreeBSD PCs as INND
> 	servers with full news feed ? Is it capable of handling
> 	the load ? Any IO/CPU limitations ?

    I have the same questions, since I'm just starting out here.  My
server will be going into full production mode within a few days (it's
been running with about a dozen beta testers for a week now).

> 	I run P6-200 here as news server - runs just fine, load
> 	averages are ~0.3-0.5 , readers peak at ~200-300, total
> 	of ~23.000 newsgroups in active, 3 days expire average,
> 	370.000 - 420.000 inodes used in /usr/spool/uucp.

    P133, 128 megabytes RAM, 3 NCR53c810 controllers and nine disks
to be split up thusly (I don't have all the controllers plugged in
yet):

sd0     1GB    /, /usr, /var, swap
sd1     2GB    /usr/local/news
sd2     2GB    /var/spool/news/alt

sd10    2GB    /var/spool/news, swap
sd11    2GB    /var/spool/news/over.db
sd12    2GB    /var/spool/news/out.going, /var/spool/uucp

sd20    2GB    /var/spool/news/comp, /var/spool/news/soc, swap
sd21    2GB    /var/spool/news/misc, /var/spool/news/rec
sd22    4GB    /var/spool/news/alt/binaries

    At the moment, I have the news spool spread over two 2GB Quantum
Atlas drives and a 4GB Quantum Grand Prix, running off a single
Buslogics BT-946C controller.  It receives about 120,000 articles a
day (900MB or so), with 20000 groups in the active file.  Only about
7000 of those actually have articles in them so far.  ;-)

    I have the history database, the overview files and the
alt.binaries spool on a single disk on the current machine, and that
disk is getting hit pretty hard according to iostat.  That's being
split across three spindles and three controllers in the production
machine, so disk I/O should not be a problem.

    A delayed expire run takes less than 5 minutes to generate the
list of articles to delete, which fastrm processes in about 30
minutes.  I expect that to rise once we get a hundred readers on it at
once, and more articles to expire.

    It seems INN is only spooling about 2 articles per second, peaking
at around 5/sec for very short periods of time.  Perhaps this will
improve once I'm using multiple controllers and more disks?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.