Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:51:34 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Noses <noses@noses.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

On Jul 11, Noses <noses@noses.com> wrote:

> I guess you're wrong; it is actually easier to tell customers to use
> /stand/sysinstall for package management and configuration of /etc/rc.conf
> than having them attack delicate parts of the system with clumsy fingers.

Never mind customers, I like to use it myself. I'm not really somebody who
wants to get into how to build X and KDE, so when I do need it on a box, I
just use all the stuff in /stand/sysinstall

The problem with the FreeBSD install is that it's not intuitive the first
time you go to use it. Once you've done it, the next time is easy, but if
you want to make it as appealing to install to a newbie as say, Mandrake,
then it needs a lot of work.

As somebody else has said on this thread, if the newbies can't install the
OS and the packages they want easily, they aren't going to use it. With
Mandrake they can have a working, partitioned up system with a choice of
window managers under X, loads of apps pre-installed, the whole lot, in less
than an hour. Currently with FreeBSD to get X and KDE and perhaps a few
other apps on will take a fair bit longer if you're new to the Unix game.

I suppose it all depends on whether you're more interested in the Desktop or
the Server - I use FBSD as a server OS, so am happy with minimal installs.