Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 18:53:39 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kas Conboy <kasc@aspire.acecomputers.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing

Kas Conboy wrote in message ID
<31B6F280.10A1@mail.acecomputers.com>:
> I am having a problem with the installation of FreeBSD
> I have a 486 dx4 100 32 MB ram and a 1.2 seagate HD
> I install from the CD-rom and it says everything went fine
> Then it reboots and it comes up to the BootManeger and I choose BSD
> the it gives the
> boot:
> prompt and I hit enter to run default
> then it just sits there and does nothing I get "|" and thats about it
> no HD access or anything just a pipe and a locked computer

Let me guess. You are using a Promise EIDE2300 controller? Either
replace the controller or disable the cards on-board BIOS. The
on-board BIOS does something funny which our boot loader can't handle,
which results in the freeze.

Sorry I can't offer any other solutions, but no-one who knows about
BIOS hacking has either seen this problem or has the timeto go digging
:-( I've seen this happen myself, so I know that it's something
specific to the 2300... (it went away when the card was replaced with
a generic ``dumb'' (E)IDE card).

Gary